All zone results are in and those guaranteed to participate in the 2018 Provincial Championship have now been published. If you are planning on participating in the event, please ensure that you review all of the pertinent information and links listed below as well as the tournament poster and Men's and Women's Eligibility Lists.
Special room rates have been made available at the Edmonton Inn (formerly Ramada Inn) - host venue. The rates and booking details are included on the poster.
A total of 64 women are accepted into the provincial championship. With a total of 4 players eligible to accept their invitation directly to the provincials, this leaves 60 spots open for zone qualifiers.
- Crystal Chiasson (Top 4 on the April 30, 2017 Ranking List)
- Alex Foulds (Top 4 on the April 30, 2017 Ranking List)
- Michelle Spicer (Top 4 on the April 30, 2017Ranking List)
- Ivy Wieshlow (Top 4 on the April 30, 2017 Ranking List)
With only 51 zone participants, all women are eligible. The women’s list shows the order of seeding for Day 1 of the event.
The 2017 Men’s Zone Playoffs had a great response with a total of 136 participants. A total of 80 men are accepted into the provincial championship. This includes the 2 players that are eligible to accept their invitation directly to the provincials.
- Jim Edwards (Top 4 on the April 30, 2017 Ranking List)
- John Hannon (Top 4 on the April 30, 2017 Ranking List)
- Dion LaViolette (Top 4 on the April 30, 2017 Ranking List) - declined bye to provincials
- Kenny MacNeil (Top 4 on the April 30, 2017 Ranking List) - gave up bye to participate in zones
For the remaining 78 spots, the following is a breakdown of the allotment of participants eligible to enter from each zone:
- Zone 1 – Lethbridge area – 5 zone participants
- Zone 2 – Cochrane area – 4 zone participants
- Zone 3 – Calgary – 17 zone participants
- Zone 4 – Red Deer area – 7 zone participants
- Zone 5 (inactive)
- Zone 6 – Edmonton – 33 zone participants
- Zone 7 – Fort McMurray area – 6 zone participants
- Zone 8 – Grande Prairie area – 6 zone participants
The men’s list of eligible participants shows those guaranteed a spot in the 2018 Provincials. For those listed as PENDING, eligibility is dependent on the number of guaranteed players that show up to participate from each zone. It is important to note that some players compete in the Zone playoffs and although they may have a guaranteed spot, they often choose not to travel to the provincials. This opens up additional spots for zone participants listed as pending and any individuals wishing to buy into the event that didn’t compete in zones. If any guaranteed players in your zone are not participating, this would automatically move everyone up on the list from your zone.
If more than 80 men show up to register, the following order is used to determine eligibility:
- All those players listed as guaranteed as well as any pending players to fill the total spots allocated to each zone.
- If additional spots are still available, these will be filled from other zone participants based on a formula that includes seeding points and current Darts Alberta ranking.
- Any individuals that wish to buy into the event that didn’t complete in zone playoffs provided space is available.
Anyone planning on participating in the 2018 Provincial Championships should be aware of the following key points:
The 2018 National Championships are being held in Drummondville Quebec. If you make the team, you will be required to be in attendance from Sunday, June 10 through Friday, June 15. There are optional ranked tournaments the weekend prior and the weekend after.
Along with the coaching team, only a total of 8 men and 8 women will be provided funding by Darts Alberta to participate at the Nationals.
As a member of Team Alberta and this not being a casino year, the Team Qualifier / Commitment Fee will be $300.00 per person with the opportunity to earn $100.00 back in you work the next casino (Third Quarter of 2018). This fee entitles each team member with transportation, shared accommodations during the National Championship, a team shirt, banquet ticket and their entry fee into the nationals – all paid by Darts Alberta.
The format of play at the Provincials, for both the men's and women's events, is a round robin advancing to a double knockout:
- Under 32 players – 8 sections of up to a maximum of 4 players with all players advancing to a 32-draw
- 33 to 40 players – 8 sections of up to a maximum of 5 players with the top 4 advancing to a 32-draw
- 41 to 48 players – 8 sections of up to a maximum of 6 players with all players advancing to a 64-draw
- 49 to 64 players – 16 sections of up to a maximum of 4 players with all players advancing to a 64-draw
- 65 to 80 players (men) – 16 sections of up to a maximum of 5 players with the top 4 advancing to a 64-draw
All details regarding the 2018 Provincial Championships are contained on the poster. Should you have any questions, please contact the DA Administrator (email@example.com) or the DA Tournament Director (firstname.lastname@example.org).